December 4, 2020

Strictly Come Dancing 2020: Nicola banned from return’ after Katya exit – Metro.co.uk

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/13/strictly-come-dancing-2020-nicola-banned-from-return-after-katya-exit-13591717/

Nicola Adams Strictly Come Dancing

Nicola Adams was forced to leave Strictly Come Dancing 2020 (Picture: PA)

Nicola Adams has been banned from returning to Strictly Come Dancing, after she was forced to leave the competition.

BBC bosses announced yesterday that the boxer had been axed from the show as professional dance partner Katya Jones tested positive for coronavirus.

There was intense speculation over whether the 38-year-old would be allowed to take part on next year’s show, following her exit.

However, it was announced that she would not be making a comeback.

Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news live

During today’s Loose Women, Andrea McLean read out a message, which said: ‘We announced before the series started if anyone tested positive from COVID they’d be out of the competition.

‘If someone has to miss a week it’s called a bye and everyone gets one bye. But contestants are not allowed to miss more than one week.

Nicola Adams and Katya Jones on Strictly

Katya Jones tested positive for coronavirus (Picture: BBC)

‘They’re not allowed to re-enter the competition after they’ve taken part in the first episode. 

‘Jamie [Laing] was allowed back because he was injured before he began training and appeared on the show. 

‘Nicola can’t come back because she will have an unfair advantage in the future as she’s now had weeks of training.’

Speaking of her early exit, the athlete said in a statement: ‘Hey guys! I’m absolutely devastated my Strictly journey has come to an end so soon.  ‘I had so much more to give and so many people to win this for!

‘But I just want to say a huge thank you to Katya for being the best dance partner anyone could ask for. She pushed me way out of my comfort zone and it’s been an incredible experience. 

‘I’m gutted to be out of the competition but in these unprecedented times and as frustrating as it is, the Covid measures in place are to keep everyone safe, and I’m doing what I can to help.’ 

Katya also addressed the news, heaping praise on her dance partner for her energy over the last few weeks. 

‘Dancing with Nicola has been an absolute inspiration. She’s given her all each and every week and we were so excited to create more dances in the competition,’ she said. 

‘Of course, I’m devastated to leave this way but I’ve made a friend for life and loved every moment of this special journey. I’d like to wish good luck to all the remaining couples!’

There are more changes ahead for this weekend’s show, with Motsi Mabuse quarantining at her home upon her return from Germany this week.

This means professional dancer Anton du Beke will be replacing her on the panel, while she appears from home via a video link.

‘We are pleased to announce that the King of Ballroom Anton du Beke is stepping into our Judging panel this weekend,’ BBC confirmed. 

‘Good luck Anton!’

Metro.co.uk has contacted Strictly reps for a comment.

Strictly Come Dancing continues on Saturday, at 7.10pm, on BBC One.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.


MORE : Shark Encounters Of The Third Kind may be the best worst movie of 2020


MORE : Children In Need: Nick Knowles breaks down as he discovers staggering amount raised by DIY SOS