November 26, 2020

Corrie McKeagues heartbroken mum got call saying son had been mugged and put in bin – Mirror.co.uk

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/corrie-mckeagues-heartbroken-mum-call-23011273

The heartbroken mum of missing RAF airman Corrie McKeague says she was told a man had mugged him and put him in a bin the night he disappeared.

Nicola Urquart made the sensational revelation after a coroner formally opened an inquest on Friday.

And she says she has also been left tormented after a taxi driver’s wife claimed her husband had beaten Corrie up and left him for dead after he was sick in his cab.

Corrie was last seen during a night out in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, in September 2016.

Police believe the 23-year-old died after drunkenly climbing into a Greggs bin which was then emptied into a lorry.

Nicola Urquhart, mother of tragic airman Corrie McKeague
(Image: PA)

Police traced his mobile phone signal showing it had travelled around 14 miles in a vehicle shortly after 4am.

A search of nearly 10,000 square feet of rubbish in Milton, Cambs, by Suffolk Police ended without success.

Nicola, who now accepts Corrie is dead, said: “I received a phone call from a member of the public saying that they knew somebody who said he and his friend had tried to rob Corrie.

“It had gone wrong and they’d put him in the bin.

“I told the police about this, I gave them all the information as was agreed before I started getting calls from people like this. The police said this was huge, I wasn’t to tell anybody.”

Speaking about the second allegation, Nicola, 51, added: “The lady phoned to say her husband, a taxi driver, had picked Corrie up that night, heading towards his base, but the boy started being sick, so the taxi driver stopped, got out, tried to drag the boy out of his taxi.

“He ended up hitting him over the head with this bat and dragged him into the woods and left him there.

Biffa bins in Bury St Edmunds – Corrie McKeague climbed in to one the night he died
(Image: Bav Media)

“He got his wife to clean up the sick in the back of the car. She believes it was Corrie and reported that.”

Nicola said the police told her they had discredited the woman’s story. But added: “To me, that’s not a good enough, to say you’ve bottomed that out, you’ve done all you can.”

She added: “On top of that we also had this person that said they were in the woods and they saw what they believed were the remains of a body that had been burned.

“They tried to report this time and time again. I took it to the police because they weren’t getting anywhere. I don’t know if these incidents are connected.”

The £2million investigation was shelved in 2018 after police admitted having “no realistic lines of enquiry left to pursue”.


Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Nicola, of Dunfermline, Fife, says she has lost faith in the police and wants the coroner to probe the newly-revealed claims, and all other evidence.

A pre-inquest review is on February 5 and a full inquest is expected next year.

Nicola added: “It’s fantastic news we’re getting the inquest because they’re independent.”